Red Twig Dogwood, known scientifically as Cornus sericea, is a standout shrub in any garden, thanks to its vivid red stems that provide a striking contrast, especially in winter. When considering companion planting for Red Twig Dogwood, it’s essential to choose plants that complement its visual appeal and growing conditions.
Companion planting can enhance the overall health and beauty of your garden, creating a symbiotic environment where each plant benefits from the other.
- Visual Harmony: Choose companions that complement the red stems of the Dogwood, such as plants with contrasting foliage or flowers.
- Soil and Light Requirements: Select plants that thrive in similar soil and light conditions as Red Twig Dogwood, which prefers well-drained soil and partial to full sun.
- Seasonal Interest: Consider the seasonal cycles of potential companions to ensure year-round garden interest.
- Ecological Benefits: Companion plants can offer benefits like attracting beneficial insects, improving soil health, and providing habitat for wildlife.
Good Red Twig Dogwood Companion Plants
|Provide textural contrast
|Thrive in similar light conditions
|Complement with large blooms
|Offers colorful flowers
|Durable and easy to grow
|Early spring blooms
|Add spring color
|Grasses (like Miscanthus)
|Drought-tolerant, adds variety
Bad Red Twig Dogwood Companion Plants
|Produces juglone, harmful to Dogwood
|Aggressive root system
|Can overtake smaller plants
|Large roots, dense shade
|Similar to Black Walnut
|Competes for water
|Large roots, overshadows smaller plants
|Prefers more acidic soil than Dogwood
Vegetable Companion Plants
|Low growing, won’t compete for sunlight
|Quick growing, can be planted around Dogwood
|Similar light and soil requirements
|Root vegetables, use different soil layers
|Can help deter pests
|Natural pest deterrent
|Share similar soil preferences
|Adds color, easy to grow
|Climbing habit, can be grown nearby
|Can be trellised near Dogwood
- Companion planting in home gardens. (n.d.). Umn.Edu. Retrieved January 3, 2024,
- Red Twig Dogwoods, Tatarian Dogwood (Cornus alba) and Redosier Dogwood (Cornus sericea). (2018, September 21). https:////www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/content/pubs_ext_vt_edu/en/3010/3010-1497/3010-1497.html
These references provide more in-depth information about Red Twig Dogwood and principles of companion planting.
Zaki Infitar is the driving force and creative mind behind GreenBuilt.co. As a self-taught gardener with an unwavering passion for all things green, Zaki’s journey into the world of gardening is a testament to his dedication and love for nature.